Palace will be a Home

After renovation, the palace and park complex in Mordy will be accommodated for the main international purpose of the Eastern House that is fruitful historical dialogue of the Eastern European nations, separated by the bloody history of XXth century. It will also serve the local community and tourists. The whole complex will be open for the residents of town and surroundings. Museum and exhibitions will be available for visitors.

History of palace in Mordy 

Currently the palace most likely stands on the site of the old defense estate from the early XVIIth century. In 1717, on the foundations of the fortifications, Ciecierski family, the owners of Mordow since 1571, built a modern brick baroque palace. The entrance gate, which could have been built around 1750, was of the same baroque character. In the following centuries the palace has undergone multiple  renovations and reconstructions. After the first rebuilding, occurred in the XVIII century, it has obtained a classicist appearance.

 

Zembrzuski family, owners of the manor since 1838, expanded the palace and continued reconstruction. The portico, tympanum of the façade and decorations of the elevation remained from that time. At that time two side wings were constructed. They were additionally heightened in the second half of the XIXth century. All these annexes are of Neo-Renaissance character.  From the side of the gate the façade of the palace was exceptionally decorated, while the wall from the side of the garden was more simple. The baroque entrance gate was never rebuilt.

In 1912  Mordy estate with the palace-park complex became the property of Konstanty Przewłocki, who bought it from Jan II Zembrzuski for his son, Henryk Przewłocki. In the interwar period the palace in Mordy belonged to the Przewłocki family, who also owned the nearby distillery. Among many guests and residents of the palace were the painter Józef Czapski, who was the relative of the  owners, the writer Maria Czapska and the archbishop Edward von der Ropp. The home chapel of the palace was established thanks to the support of bishops Lozinski and Przezdziecki.

 After World War II the palace together with the surrounding garden were nationalized. Henryk Przewłocki was sent to a Soviet labour camp in Borowicze on Kolyma, and died there. Until 2007 the palace was administered by Podlasie Academy, which had already been the host of the palace since 1970th. The palace was partly renovated in 1963-1964, and then in the 1980th, but later it was neglected and fell into ruin. Przewłocki family claimed the property already in 1990, but for a long time they were fruitlessly fighting to regain it. In 2002 the object was sold to a private person. In January of 2005 the court annulled the sale agreement and the palace once again returned to the institution in Siedlce. Only in 2018 Przewłocki finally succeeded in regaining the palace and park complex.

Nowadays

For many years the palace, surrounded by a historical park, was in a deplorable condition due to the negligence of its previous owners, and now it cannot be used in any way. After renovation the palace will be open for public purposes, and the park will be accessible for residents of Mordy and tourists. Renovation of the facility will cost several dozens million of Polish zloty.

 
Skip to content